Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Heart Sugar.

On many occasions I think to myself that I consume too much sugar. There is a diabetic in the family and this gives me reason to believe that I should stop right there and curb this sweet tooth before I end up having to tote around a glucose monitor til the day I die.

Sometime two weeks ago, my big mouth challenged a caffeine-loving friend to not consume coffee for 30 days. To encourage this, I blurted out that I would not have refined sugar. And another fellow friend said she would not eat baked goods. The conditions were that I was allowed to have natural sugars such as juice and honey, and I was also allowed artificial sweeteners. The point is, I can't eat most desserts that I love like ice cream or cake :( or candy.

I am only 10 days in and I want nothing more than to sink my teeth into a sugary, buttery cupcake like there is no tomorrow. I admit, I cut corners - I buy organic cereal that is sweetened with honey or sugar cane juice and I eat boxed cookies with artificial sweeteners. And I confess, I have also mistakenly put things in my mouth that had sugar, not even thinking about it BUT I was honest about these slip ups.

It's incredible how much willpower it takes to turn sugar away. The office I work at has jars of Starburst and sugary granola bars 10 steps away from my desk. In the morning, I have to eat my toast with butter and not jam. I. Love. Jam. The mental struggle to turn away cupcakes on the weekend was just shy of being epic.

Has this lead to weight loss? No. I seem to have replaced my sugar fix with a carb fix. I've been eating more bread now than I have in the past 5 years. I have no doubt that once these 30 days are over that I will be stuffing my face with cake. Disaster. 40 days makes or breaks a habit they say? If I extend this by another 10 days I will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment