Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Black Swan

So I just went to watch Black Swan starring Natalie Portman, costarring Mila Kunis, directed by Darren Aronofsky. If you haven't seen the preview, here it is:


NOTE: It is RATED R for explicit sexual content so beware if you plan on going to see this with someone who you wouldn't be particularly comfortable watching such scenes with.

After seeing the preview I knew I was in for some twisted dark storyline, also because Aronofsky had directed Requiem for a Dream. It is not a film for everyone, I heard a lot of mixed reviews from others in the theater after the movie was done. It was very reminiscent of Donnie Darko so if you didn't like Requiem or Donnie Darko, this may not be for you. You definitely have to go into the movie with an open mind. A lot of people take films for their face value, not understanding the psychological depth of the storyline.

Personally I thought the movie was brilliant overall. I was in suspense all the way through, some scenes were uncomfortable to watch but I already expected a certain level of shock factor. I was very impressed with how it was made and was even more impressed with the performances. Natalie Portman was especially outstanding, if you look at her body it's clear that she had gone through some very intense training for the role. She's pure bones and muscle! She deserves an Oscar nomination if not the win. I also started to develop an appreciation for ballet as I was watching, so much that I want to go see a real performance this year.

The filming was phenomenal! You'll see when you watch.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I won't go into any more details. I'll let you judge for yourselves, I give it two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment