Sunday, January 16, 2011

Let's talk goals for 2011

Bouillabaisse

WTF is that you ask? French fish stew originating in Marseille, France. First of all I've never even had it but it looks amazing. In order to get an idea of how this is supposed to turn out I will go back to Murrietta's and try their famous bouillabaisse. Seeing it on their menu in November got me curious, and trying the Italian version, cioppino, at Mercato really got me interested. I will put my taste recognition skills to the test, then I will attempt to make it at home. P.S. I've never cooked any seafood other than shrimp, the usual baked or barbecued fish, and mussels. If watching my amazing cook-parents over my lifetime has taught me anything I will hopefully be able to produce a tasty bouillabaisse on my own.



Eka Pada Galavasana

Otherwise known as Flying Crow Pose, a yoga pose which involves balancing on your hands and hooking one foot into the opposite elbow and lifting the other foot straight into the air. It looks like your face is going to smash into the floor but the teachers reassure us that we won't. I expect it will take all year, possibly longer, but with daily at-home and in-class practice, I will get there, even if just for a second. Maybe I should focus on getting a good down dog first. And doing pushups because I am weak sauce.




Guns Germs and Steel

Does not require gun. This is a 471 page book by Jared Diamond that I bought by recommendation from academically inclined individuals I met this past summer. It outlines theories as to how history and societies have shaped the modern world. Not just a history lesson, the ideas include culture, genetics, and environmental differences that have put some societies ahead of the others. May not sound very fascinating to you, but it will be a change from the usual novels and memoirs I normally go to. It's a hefty block of paper and I don't want this to end up being another start and don't finish book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

Shooting Range

Gun required. My dad used to hunt. And for some reason also had a handgun which he let me shoot a blank once when I was a wee one. I remember the kick was powerful and I had to pull the trigger with both hands. What would it feel like now?

Fishing

Speaking of dad, he also used to fish. I remember going a few times as a child and the last time dad ever went was when I was about 10. We were visiting family in Banff and he decided he wanted to fish on a whim so we drove to a lake and spent what seemed like forever in the wind and light rain and all we came up with is my brother finding a dead fish floating near the shore. Let's see if I can catch something, yea?

Creme Brulee

If anyone knows me at all they know I like dessert. Surprisingly I hadn't tried creme brulee until a month ago. I didn't even know what it was. And now I love it and want to make it. I usually stick to cakes, breads, pies and cookies because they are easy. This one requires some patience. I'll need mom and dad to supervise on this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment